March 19, 2015

Saint Germain des Prés


 It's become quite the tradition that, after attending my french lessons at a ridiculous hour on Monday's and Thursday's, I venture out into a new area of Paris with some of my friends. Last week we decided to head to St Germain de Prés...not to be confused with St Germain en Laye. 
I'd go as far to say that this is one of my favourite places in Paris. The architecture combined with the streets full of high-end stores gives it a Rue St Honoré feel but without the snobbery. 


Each store seemed to take real pride in their window display, of which I didn't take nearly enough photographs. Although, no doubt I'll be back soon with my actual camera rather than my iPhone!


I also accidentally stumbled across Café de Flore which I've been desperate to find ever since I arrived here. It's one of the oldest café/restaurants in the city and serves up all of the classic french cuisine including a croque-monsieur that is difficult to beat. However it's more famous for its historic clientele of writers and poets.

I can't recommend this area enough, especially on a sunny day. The nearest metro stop is 'Saint Germain des-Prés' but the walk from the 'St-Michel' stop is so beautiful and only 10 minuets!

Are there any areas you'd recommend? 

Brontë