December 19, 2014

#Blogmas Day 19: Colour Correcting Concealers

A problem I've noticed more recently with my skin is different pigmentation in certain areas, for example purple dark circles under my eyes or some redness from spots. I did a little research and I found out about colour correcting concealers. Obviously, I was a little sceptical at first. Will putting green cover up on my face really make it look less red? However, I have to say I am now converted to the idea. For those of you that don't know about colour concealers, carry on reading and for those that do...you can skip to the product review at the bottom!

To keep it quick, I've written a little guide about which colour does what and where you should normally put it. If you think of the colour wheel and contrasting/complimentary colours, this will make things a lot clearer. However, DO NOT just go out with the colours on your face! You will have to blend skin toned concealer or foundation over the top.
Orange: This is opposite blue in the colour wheel, meaning it should be used on any blue pigmentation on the skin. For example, any really dark circles or bruising can be counteracted with Orange.
Yellow: For me this is the most useful of them all. Yellow is opposite purple which means it is the best colour for those pesky under-eye circles, something I have been struggling with. 
Green: Another very useful one! It is contrasting with red and therefor cancels out this colour when places over any spots or blemishes. 
Lilac + Pale Pink: I've grouped these two together because they do pretty much the same thing and you normally need to blend them together anyway! If you want to highlight dull skin this is exactly what you need! Since these pastel colours aren't really on your standard colour wheel, you can use these to push away any grey or dull looking areas.

Now, on to my product review. I bought the MUA Pro Base Prime&Conceal Palette for £3 mainly because I didn't want to spend a lot of money if I ended up not loving the effect of coloured concealer. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Okay, so it isn't the best concealer out there but the colours are highly pigmented so you do get the full effect once they're blended into the skin. They are a little on the oily side so I'd stay away from these if you've got oily skin. For a beginner who wants to test out the colours, this is ideal. I've since gone on to see the NYX do a range of the individual colours which I'll definitely be purchasing. Personally, I only really use yellow, green and lilac so buying them individually makes a lot of sense. 

I hope this has hopefully helped you understand colour correcting concealers a little better and given you and idea of where to put each tone. Let me know if you try them out!
Brontë xo